May 14, 2011

Ahh ... VBS

Vacation Bible School! 

I remember when I was a little girl I LOVED VBS at South County church of Christ. It was the next best thing to church camp. I would beg mom and dad to take me every night! Fortunately for me, I would usually be able to go 3 out of 5 nights. It was the best! The singing, the skits, the crafts, the snacks, the friends ... it was a blast! We had fun while learning about people God used in the Bible. It was a great experience and I never imagined that one day I would be able to create the same kind of fun for kids in the Philippines! 

These last few weeks I have been apart of the planning and executing of two VBS's. One for Lilia's Place and the other for the Consolacion church of Christ. Both have the same Joseph theme.

Lilia's Place was a great experience! We shared a different part of the Joseph story and did two crafts  each day. My personal favorite was the day the kids put J in jail. Each kid had a different way of arranging the jail bars and it was so adorable to see what their little minds came up with. 





 I saw, on a daily basis, how much these kids were soaking in every minute of the fun and learning more and more about our amazing God! It reminded me of my times as a child at VBS; I was more than happy that I could help these children make fun childhood memories!! 



Lilia's Place VBS was encouraging in many different ways, however, my favorite part of the week was when I taught the kids the Hippo song. Immediately after singing, sweet four year old Lilia said "Good job, Caidy!" She stole my heart in that moment. I thank God for precious, kind, encouraging children like her.

Consolacion VBS is every Saturday in May. Since the church meets at a school building it is not possible to have a one week long VBS because of summer classes. SO... that leaves Saturdays! We have two weeks down three more to go. It has also been a lot of fun! Getting to know these kids is a blast as most of them don't understand a word I say. I have learned that you don't need words to share a common love with children; you just need a smile and a warm heart.

 We have had about 45 kids attending the VBS and 8 mothers attending the parenting class. So far so good all around. We have many helpers and it has been encouraging to see everyone come out to help make this a great experience for these kids. I am excited to see what God has in-store for the next 3 weeks at Consolacion! 





Love and Peace to all. 

-Caidy 





No comments: